Blog Info

I love Castles, History and Archaeology, If I could have my time again I would train to be a Archaeologist!
I am a keen artist and traveller, I seek adventure however I am also disabled and a dog owner.

So I thought it would be a neat idea to have a blog that I could share some photos of my castle hunting adventures and basic info on these sites from a disabled, dog owning artist!

Cadw Offers Disabled people and there companion Free access to there sites, If you have any problems, attitude or access on this generous offer make sure you contact Cadw so they can improve.

I have only provided basic info as there are enough sites on the net to give you this information.
http://cadw.wales.gov.uk/?lang=en


This Castle Wales Site is brilliant, I have used it time and time again, even writing to the makers to compliment them
www.castlewales.com


Friday 16 January 2015

Imber Village & St Giles

 
Imber Village & St Giles Church
 
 
Usually only Castles, Historic abbeys/ Churches, ruins get into my castle hunter blog but Imber is
a special place and a special place to me. I have longed to go to Imber Village from the moment I heard about it as a child. I have uploaded all the photos I took on my visit as there are very few on
the internet, below is a brief description but I have listed useful links too!

Imber is an isolated and uninhabited village on Salisbury plain near the village of Tilshead and Heytesbury, The entire civilian population was evicted in 1943 to provide an exercise area for American troops preparing for the invasion of Europe during the Second World War. After the war, villagers were not allowed to return to their homes. The village, which is now part of the civil parish of Heytesbury, remains under the control of the Ministry of Defence despite several attempts by former residents to return. Non-military access is limited to several open days a year..

St Giles's church and its graveyard remained in the hands of the Diocese of Salisbury, although access to them was and is controlled by the Ministry of Defence. The Bell Inn was sold to the MoD in the mid-1950s and the Baptist Chapel in the late 1970s.  By 2001 it had become clear, according to a Church of England press release, that St Giles's "was in need of extensive repairs." Since it was "not possible for the parochial church council to accept liability for the maintenance of a building to which they only had effective access for worship once a year

In 2005 Churches Conservation Trust took over it's care. Just in  time as in 2003 the church tower had been struck by lightning weakening the structure, restoration work commenced in 2008 and the annual service resumed in September 2009 on completion of the works.
 
Best website for detail how to visit
www.imberchurch.org.uk
 
Churches Conservation Trust
 
 
 
 
 
Old Imber..
In the church you will find lots of photos and articles about old Imber
 






Imber Today...
January 2015









St Giles Today...
January 2015
 






 
Memorial to Imber villagers that died during the war.


Walking Up To St Giles






Bell Ringing


 












 


 






Imber Court



The Bell Inn
 


Inside The Bell Inn





Methodist Grave Yard




Inside The Bell Inn
 





The Bell Inn




No comments:

Post a Comment